There are many different engineering fields for every student who is seeking a career path in engineering can choose. Engineering is one of the most lucrative fields of study. While the job market is now being so stagnant, the fields of engineering continue to boom. The different fields of engineering are implementing both scientific and technical knowledge to utilize the natural laws and physical resources to create and design structures, devices, materials and even different systems to meet some standards. The continuous advancements and discovery in technology are highly helpful to make this essential field of study more significant and influential. If you are thinking to become an engineer, there are many engineering fields that you can consider pursuing.
Mechanical engineering – this is regarded as one of the most difficult engineering fields that most students have regarded. This field applies all the different physical principles in the analysis, implementation, design, and maintenance of various mechanical systems as well. The students of the mechanical field are required to learn the various concepts of thermodynamics, kinematics, energy, fluid mechanisms and mechanics as well. They may work is some manufacturing companies that are producing water jets, aeroplanes, cars, and the like. Mechanical engineers can create something small as specialised tools and something large ass robotics systems. This is also considered as the largest field of engineering.
Electrical Engineering – the graduates of this field of study specialize in dealing with electronics and electricity and electromagnetism. The increasing demand and the essence of the electronic telegraph and electric power supply turned this field into a greatly identifiable industry that involves electronics, power control system, and telecommunications. This is also considered as a field of engineering that is very broad that works in the designing system, circuit design, and industrial wiring.
Computer Engineering – with the technological advancement and the great demands of computer and computer systems in every industry, this engineering field has become highly significant. This field is combining the power of electronics and computer science. Those computer engineers are electronic engineers that have more extensive training in the technology of computer. They specialize in the integration of software and hardware and software designs. They are also often seen in various microchip manufacturers and makers of mobile devices.
Civil Engineering – this is the perfect field of study for those individuals who want to have a great career in the public works. It is also considered as the 2nd oldest engineering fields. Those civil engineers involved themselves in construction, designing, and maintenance of many physical structures which include building, bridges, and highways. There are also many sub-disciplines of civil engineering that you can choose from. These include the following:
• Environmental engineering – deals in land use like how can an infrastructure be built on some sensitive ecological areas, determining the impact on the environment of nuclear power plants and dams, planning recreational areas like parks, and designing landfills.
• Geological engineering – issues in site planning like determining how well the ground can support a huge building. It is also responsible for designing retention systems and water drainage. They are also creating systems that can withstand various environmental conditions.
• Construction engineering – supervises the processes of construction. They also make sure that the processes of construction are completed within the budget and on time.
• Hydraulic engineering – this hydraulic engineers design levees to protect the public or the cities from dangerous floods, protect harbours and beaches, ports and canals and design dams.
• Structural engineering –deal in construction of bridges, buildings, roller coasters, ballparks, industrial plants and any other large permanent structures.
• Transportation engineering – those transportation engineers are responsible for designing roads systems and highway. They are also planning the mechanism of the flow of traffic. They are likewise preparing for demand plans for the existing roadways. Furthermore, they are designing seaports, train paths and airport runways.
Chemical Engineering – another engineering field that you can identify nowadays is chemical engineering. The principles in this field of engineering are applied science with some mathematical theories for converting some chemicals into useful and safer chemical compounds. More often than not, chemical engineers are working in large manufacturing companies to create a better and new product chemical process. They are also creating clean fuels, new products, and water treatment systems. They are also designing new mixing processes, handling and transporting various chemical compounds. There are also different sub-disciplines of chemical engineering which include the following:
• Ceramic engineering – they develop ceramics with a greater temperature resistance or with low electrical resistance. They are also applying the ceramic technology for manufacturing purposes.
• Plastics engineering – these engineers design strong and lightweight plastics which can replace metal in the traditional processes of manufacturing. Those plastic engineers are also designing plastics that are fire-resistant to be used in the housing industry.
Top Engineering Fields of Tomorrow
The technological innovations have made the world as an exciting place. There are different engineering fields that would definitely take over the old field of engineering. These include the following:
Advanced manufacturing – the manufacturing processes are becoming increasingly sophisticated that requires highly knowledgeable and skilled engineers that will help in the generation of some new materials which will then become the essential components of spacecraft, future planes and ships. The mechatronic engineer will them bring expertise in various disciplines which include electronics, mechanical engineering, and control engineering.
Artificial intelligence and robotics – robots may seem to be some kinds of stuff of science fiction to many people, but this field is now being so quick, with so many experts who believe that robotics will then transform various jobs within just a decade. In the distant future, this field will need not only professionals in robot maintenance but also will create innovative solutions and approaches in producing wearable robots which are powered exoskeletons that can move large objects.
Engineering fields are very vast. These are one of the most important fields that one can identify in the market. The engineering fields are using both the scientific and technical knowledge that is utilizing natural laws and physical resources to be able to create new materials that will meet various standards.